Saturday, October 30, 2004

Halloween Costumes

Three years ago on Halloween my friend Debbi held her housewarming party in Providence, Rhode Island. I showed up without a costume because I knew I could find something to wear at her house. Debbi is a collector, especially of goddess art, clothes, and masks. I knew I would not have to remain ordinary-looking at Debbi's house.

In going through her collections, I picked out a feathered mask and a flouncy, lacy white dress. I chose the ultra-girly white dress because normally I dress in black pants, dark colored shirts, and Doc Martens or other black shoes. I used to wear brighter colors, but then I lived in New England for 9 years. At this point my closet is a row of black, tan, and navy clothing, plus two red blouses, and the scariest part is that I like it that way.

I chose the opposite of what I usually wear because I thought it would make Debbi laugh, but it did more than that. Debbi was absolutely transported with delight because I had unknowingly chosen the fairy dress. This dress was a part of her previous house. When she purchased that house, she stipulated in the contract that the owners, upon vacating the house, would leave to her one costume of their choice from their sizable collection. They chose the fairy dress, which was appropriate for Debbi since she is very fond of fairies.

I wore the fairy dress all evening, and Debbi said it was a sign of good luck for her new house. After that I decided that since I could never pick a costume for Halloween, I would just be a fairy queen every year in honor of Debbi and her special party on her favorite holiday. It is important to distinguish between a fairy godmother and a fairy queen. A fairy godmother does favors for children; a fairy queen turns people into donkeys when they get on her nerves.

Last year in North Carolina I bought myself a girly white dress and wore it to a costume party, but this year I am living in Iowa, and it is much colder than in Rhode Island or North Carolina. Therefore I am welching out on the fairy costume and going as a cowgirl, an outfit that will keep me warm. I'll be a fairy again the next time I attend a warm indoor party.

Unfortunately, I have lost my brother's boyhood leather belt, which was in my collection for a while. It has horses and ranch scenes tooled on it. I cannot believe I would have given it away, and I hope it will turn up.

I will be wearing the cowboy boots that a former landlord gave me because they were uncomfortable. These are dancing boots, not field boots. In the first place, they are a pale red leather with yellow heels and toes. In the second place, they have two-inch heels. Two-inch heels!! Even one-inch heels are high enough to make my back hurt, and normally I only wear two-inch heels with either the Electric Blue Party Dress, the Swirling Spanish Dress, or the black dress whose name shall not be mentioned on this blog because it could be misconstrued as rude. (My cocktail dresses have names. Wanna make something of it?) Who wears cowboy boots with two-inch heels?? Pretty much just me, and even I only wear them on special occasions.

My borrowed cowboy hat is simply amazing. It is from Paris, Texas, and is made of beaver felt, which is crushed beaver fur. The hatband has two kinds of feathers in it. The feathers alternate between small brown feathers with white speckles, and long blue feathers. It is a glorious hat, and it fits me perfectly.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home