Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hawes Wensleydale

Every now and then I like to try a new cheese, and this week I saw an appetizing description of a British cheese, "pleasantly nutty," perhaps "tart." Seduced by these phrases, I bought a wedge. I always think I'm going to like "nutty" cheeses, and yet they nearly always taste like vomit. I adore cheeses, but in my opinion all of them have an undertone of vomit taste, and in some it is less subtle than in others. The flavor of the Hawes Wensleydale cheese suggested that it should not be eaten alone, but paired with something smoky and strong such as mushrooms.

Hawes Wensleydale frittata with portabello mushrooms

Saute in a high-sided skillet with a little oil until it begins to turn translucent:
one onion, chopped

Add:
several Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
four lightly pre-steamed small Yukon Gold or red potatoes, sliced
Saute until the mushrooms soften.

Whisk together:
6 eggs
1/3 c. grated Hawes Wensleydale cheese
1/4 c. milk
1-2 t. tarragon
salt and pepper to taste

Lower the heat on the burner, pour the liquid into the skillet, cover the skillet, and cook until the frittata is set but not overcooked, about 20 minutes.

This frittata was very tasty, and the cheese blended in well with the other flavors.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home