Friday, January 07, 2005

Snow

We just had our first big snowfall of the winter: 14 inches over a 24-hour period, the most in 50 years. We actually don't get a whole lot of snow around here, not like the Sierras! Still, 14 inches is not to be sneezed at, and I have a really long driveway. I was valiantly shoveling away when my friendly neighbor drove up in a John Deere mini-tractor outfitted with a cheerful yellow steel blade, and he cleared my entire driveway and carport.

Needless to say, I was plenty grateful. I decided to bake cinnamon roll bread and take a loaf over to him and his wife, along with a bottle of my dad's beer that I don't drink.

I make this bread by finding any pulla recipe and adapting it. Pulla is a very rich, delectable Finnish bread made with cardamom. My favorite pulla recipe is Elizabeth's high school boyfriend's recipe, but I don't have that one here! I adapted a recipe from the Moosewood cookbook instead. What follows is not a Moosewood recipe, but if you want a sweepingly beautiful pulla braid with some stunningly elegant possible variations, that's a good place to look.

Cinnamon Roll Bread

Dissolve sugar in water, then sprinkle on yeast:
1/2 c. wrist-temperature water
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 packages dry yeast (2 scant Tbsp.)

Let the yeast proof (bubble). Meanwhile, mix, and warm to lukewarm:
2 c. milk
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cinnamon

Pour both liquids into a large mixing bowl, and mix them well. Add the following and beat:
4 eggs, beaten (reserve 1 Tbsp. for making glaze later)
1 c. whole wheat flour
4 c. white flour

Now add:
1/2 c. (one stick) melted butter
Leave a little butter behind at the bottom of the cup, and pour it into a very large, clean bowl to use for the bread's rising.

Stir in approximately 4 more cups of white flour, as much as the dough requires. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes. It doesn't require a whole lot of kneading. When it's fairly springy, place it in the large buttered bowl, and turn it to coat it with butter. Cover it with a damp cloth and put it somewhere warm to rise until doubled in bulk, 1-1 1/2 hours.

Prepare the filling:
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
butter optional

Punch down the dough (this is fun, it deflates really dramatically) and divide it into thirds. Flatten each third into a long oval. Divide the filling among the three ovals. Roll each one into a loaf by starting with the short end and rolling up, then sealing the edges with your fingers. Put the loaves in baking pans, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise again until almost doubled in bulk, 30-45 minutes.

Make glaze by beating together:
1 Tbsp. egg
2 t. milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush glaze over loaves. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden and the loaves sound hollow if rapped with the knuckles.

I gave the best loaf to my neighbors, kept half a loaf out to eat, and cut the rest into slices, which I froze. I'll be able to pull out a couple slices at a time and toast them for breakfast.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home