Friday, April 22, 2005

Spring Bicycling

I enjoy exercise, but I don't so much like to exert myself. Monday I went out for a 12-mile road ride to the historic triple span Sutliff Bridge over the Cedar River, and I only traversed about 5 miles. I remembered why it was that I never rode very far when I was a kid:
1) The roads are hilly.
2) The prairie wind can be so strong that it carries away air that I'm in the middle of trying to breathe.
3) There are cars.

I have worked out a town ride that I enjoy, to the Mount Vernon library and back home, about 8 miles round trip, a good thing to do in the evening after work.

People keep asking me if I'll participate in RAGBRAI, the Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. I tell them no, but now I'll tell them NO WAY. I'll hit an offroad bike trail this weekend.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger helliemae said...

See, that's my thing about outdoor exercise - too many random variables.

Also, whenever I get talked into going for a run, I get nervous that I might end up far from home, tired, and still have to *run back*.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Margo said...

I always figure that since I don't go more than 10 miles from my starting point, if I get a flat or something, I can just walk the bike back. And I bring a cell phone in case I decide I'd prefer to be rescued!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home